Force and Motion Vocabulary
Force and Motion - Words highlighted in yellow may be on the review test.
1. inertia- tendency of an object to resist a change in its state of motion
2. friction- force that opposes the motions of one object moving past another
3. Newton’s Law of Universal Gravitation- the force of gravity between two objects increases with the mass of the objects and decreases with the distance between them
4. gravity - the pull of all objects toward the center of the Earth
5. speed – a measurement of distance and time
6. velocity- speed of a moving object together with its direction of travel
7. acceleration- how fast an objects position is changing with time at any moment
8. momentum- the motion of a body and its resistance to slowing down – it is equal to the product of the body’s mass and velocity
9. constant speed- when the speed of an object stays the same.
10. rest – not moving
11. Newton's Second Law of Motion - It takes more force to move something faster or further. F= MxA (force equals mass times acceleration)
12. Newton’s Third Law of Motion (“for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction”)
13. energy – the ability to do work or the change an object
14. potential energy- energy story in a position or structure of an object
15. kinetic energy – the energy of a moving object
16. work – amount of energy used to perform a task or the measurement of the energy used
17. balanced forces- all the forces on an object cancel one another out
18. unbalanced forces- certain force is either only partially canceled or not canceled at all by other forces Newton's Third Law of Motion- For every action there is an opposite and equal reaction.
19. action- the force one object applies to a second, as in Newton’s Third Law of Motion (“for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction”)
20. reaction- the force with which an abject responds to an action, as in Newton’s Third Law of Motion (“for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction”)
21. net force – the combination of all forces acting on an object. Net force determines whether an object will start moving, stop moving, or change direction. (do not need to know for the test)
22. length- The distance from one end of something to the other
23. volume- the amount of space matter takes up
24. mass- the amount of physical matter an object contains W
25. weight- the force of gravity on an object’s mass.
26. Law of Conservation – This law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed.